Skip to content Skip to footer

How Much Does Wisdom Tooth Extraction Cost?

If you have impacted wisdom teeth, they can cause dental problems. These include tooth decay, cysts, gum disease, infection and nerve damage.

While removing them can be painful, it is necessary for your oral health. It’s recommended to remove impacted wisdom teeth as soon as possible for your comfort and overall health.

Costs for Anesthesia

Anesthesia is a type of medicine that can be used during surgical procedures to make you feel less pain and prevent you from remembering the procedure. It can be in the form of a shot, spray or ointment.

The amount of anesthesia needed depends on the complexity of the procedure and how many teeth you need to be removed. Erupted wisdom teeth, which have already erupted out of the gums, are simpler to remove than impacted ones, which are partially or completely stuck under the gum or jawbone.

Impacted wisdom teeth are more difficult to extract, so they can add additional costs to the total price of your surgery. For example, if your dentist has to remove some gum tissue and bone to reach your tooth, it can increase the overall cost by $50 to $300 per impacted tooth.

Costs for Surgery

The cost of your wisdom teeth removal will depend on a few factors, including the number of extractions, the type of anesthesia you’ll need and the location of each tooth. Erupted teeth will be the least expensive to extract, while impacted (or stuck) teeth can be more difficult.

Dental insurance typically covers some of the costs for a wisdom tooth extraction, as long as it’s considered medically necessary. Depending on your plan, it may cover up to 80% of the procedure.

If you have no insurance, your doctor will help you figure out a payment plan that works for your budget. If you have insurance, they’ll tabulate all of the expenses and help you understand your out-of-pocket costs.

Costs for Recovery

The cost of a wisdom tooth extraction depends on many factors. For example, it is often more expensive to have an oral surgeon perform the surgery rather than a general dentist. In addition, the amount of anesthesia required will increase the costs of the procedure.

Dental insurance covers part of the cost of a wisdom teeth removal, as long as it is deemed medically necessary. Typically, the plan will cover 80% of the total cost, with the patient responsible for the remaining 20%.

If your dental insurance does not cover the full cost of a wisdom tooth extraction, you may want to consider supplemental insurance. You can find a variety of plans through third-party lenders that allow you to make monthly payments.

Generally, recovery from wisdom tooth removal is short and painless. However, it is important to follow instructions from your doctor to avoid dislodging a blood clot, which can cause further complications such as a dry socket.

Costs for Follow-Up Care

Often, patients are surprised by the cost of wisdom tooth extraction. Despite the high price tag, this procedure is usually necessary and helps preserve the natural teeth.

Getting wisdom teeth removed early can prevent the need for additional treatment in the future, such as fillings. In addition, preemptive removal can reduce the risk of gum disease and decay as impacted teeth are more difficult to clean.

In addition to the surgical costs, patients also need to consider the follow-up care they will need after their extraction. This will likely include a routine check-up and professional cleaning to ensure that the area is clean and free from infection.

The cost of this follow-up care will vary by office. Some offices will give you an estimate over the phone. Others will not.

If you want to know more Contact Us:

    I agree that my submitted data is being collected and stored.